Saturday, November 14, 2009

Genres; The value of Dance?

*Been a while I know but last term was so hectic. I've organized this term so that I'm not as busy.

So as the title suggests This entry is about genre and style of dance. As a contemporary dancer I value all forms of dance that require ultimate flexibility and true work ethic. Saying this may sound like I don't value street dance very much, but I do! I can see the technique and the athleticism of the whole genre, but barely any stamina. If a street dancer was to try out for a dance school and told they weren't what the school was looking for there would be this whole issue of "Oh ya'll are close minded and stuck up!" when simply its probably because the dancer can't point, or jeté, or anything else necessary for dance schools. However street dancers are constantly saying that classical dancers are pussy's and snobs and constantly making fun of ballet, the ultimate dance! Ballet is the most disciplined dance I know of and street dancers are just scared to even try it. If they want respect, they should show some.

By the way I'm not taking Hip-Hop this dance term ahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment